Bulk setting outcome end date

Hi James,
Is it possible to bulk edit end dates for student outcomes? I am doing an Avetmiss export and I am having a lot of errors come up as the RPL workshop end dates are before the student’s completion of the qualification dates. Having to enter each end date separately on a students record is very time consuming.
Is there a solution to this other than creating a separate class as self paced with the units attached and enrolling students in this as well as the workshop (without units attached)? We would need to this next time we schedule a workshop in any case.
Kind regards,
Yasmin

1 Like

Hi Yasmin

Welcome to our forums. I moved your post to its own topic since it wasn’t related to the AVETMISS 10 conversation.

As for your question, can you explain a bit more about your use-case? Are you saying that the outcome ends after the workshop happens because there is some assessment or other task they need to complete?

Hi Ari,
Yes they have other tasks they need to complete after the workshop e.g. electives and they have other work that they may have completed in the workshop but it still needs to be marked.
Regards,

OK, great. So a few thoughts:

1. The standards are very unclear on what the outcome end date represents. From various customers I’ve heard:
  • student completed all work/assessments
  • tutor marked assessments (usually a few weeks later)
  • admin team verified outcome met all requirements (up to four weeks after marking complete)
  1. If they have electives or additional assessments, then you can add those to the class timetable. That will automatically push the end date to what you want.

If you are bulk editing all the outcome end dates in the class to the same new date, then the easiest way is to add an assessment task which will achieve that.

Hi Ari,
Thanks for the information. The end date would mean to us the date the student was marked competent in each unit of competency or was marked competent in the whole qualification, which is usually what we record for RPL granted.
We don’t currently add assessments to the timetable. The students normally access the assessments and resources via our Moodle site.
I would need to talk to my manager to see if this is a better way of doing this or if we should just make a self paced class with the units attached with an end date over 18 months and a separate class for the workshop with no units attached.

Kind regards,

Hi Yasmin,

You can continue to use Moodle to distribute assessments, however adding them to your class timetable (go to assessment tasks window > create an assessment record and make it active > go to class record > scroll to assessments > add assessment ) and making the due date your intended outcome end date will add them to the class training plan, which in turn will add an extra date beyond the final session date. This will also be the outcome end date, and will be what’s reported.

Hi Yasmin & Ari,

We have the same issue. Students hand in work placement at different times post the end of the class sessions and I know the admin team spend an incredible amount of time adding dates one by one. Bulk editing would save everyone from a lot of busy work.

Hi James,
Thanks for the advice. Does that mean that the students will receive a notification that their assessment is due ? We don’t want to do this as some of the assessments are completed in class and we try to be flexible as many students are working and studying at the same time?
We would rather just set up an end date of 18 months and if people complete the qualification earlier then we can mark up their record when they are deemed competent.
Thanks,

1 Like

Hi Sandra

Can you please elaborate on how you see this bulk updating process working. You say that students all hand in their assessments at different times and I assume you want to record those different dates as the completion fort the outcome. What would be the process of entering all those different dates into onCourse which would save time? Some sort of spreadsheet-like view?

Hi Ari,

I have copied Heather, Steph & Stuart who are the main users of this process and would be best for them to say how they think it would best work for them.

Thanks,

Sandra

Hi Yasmin,
Just to answer your question: assessment notifications are only sent out if the controlling script called ‘alert students of assessment release’ is turned on, otherwise no one is notified of anything. With the notification script turned off onCourse simply adds the assessment and its due date to the class training plan, whose dates flow down to the outcome end dates.

We are adding assessment submission dates in the class and enrolment UI

When you tick the submission for each student, it will allow you to set a date. And this will automatically adjust the outcome end date as appropriate.

Does anyone have a strong opinion about whether the outcome end date is the submitted date or the marked date of the final assessment?

Hi Ari,
I think the marked date of the final assessment should be the end date. This will be the date they acheived competency or if this is not known yet a date in the future eg 31/12/21

Hi Ari,
I can’t see an Assessment submission log like the one in your screenshot with submitted and marked. I created an Assessment Task for a Class see attached FGC1.

It has added the end date 31 December 21 but I don’t know how to make this end date appear as the end date in the student outcomes.
Regards,
Yasmin

The above screenshot is still in development. I am interested in your feedback about how that might work for your needs.

This feature is now in production. We hope you like what we’ve done and the new ways you can set assessment marking dates in bulk for a whole class at one time, which will in turn update the outcome end dates.

Hi Ari,
Thanks, this is good for tracking assessment submission and marking eg for a diploma they need to submit a few things prior to during and after the workshop.
It doesn’t seem to update the outcome end dates as the assessment task I created isn’t linked to the units of competency. I can update the outcome and override the end date but I still need to do this manually. Regards Yasmin

Yes, you will need to link your assessment tasks to units. But you need to do that anyway to have the Learning and Assessment Plan come out correctly.

Its pretty easy to do in the VET section in the class and once you do it once, it will carry over every time you duplicate that class.