Viewing related notes/documents from contacts

Hi ish users, I have submitted the below improvement request to ish. Does anyone have any views on this?

H James,

To avoid double handling and so the sales & service team can efficiently and effectively see all notes in one place when assisting a customer it would be super awesome if the application notes appeared on the contact notes as they are added and saved. At the moment the team have to put their sales notes in 2 places so service can see via a contact when managing an inbound enquiry and the sales and sales support team can see inbound enquiries taking place against an application being dealt with. The way it is now is like having 2 totally different systems to work with creating inefficiencies and lots of busy work and poor customer experience. An alternative to this would be to have a link to an existing application from the contact like we do for the waitlist but the first option is the preference.

Thanks,
Sandra

Hi Sandra. Thanks for these thoughts. I’ve extended the title of this thread to include not just application notes, but really all notes and documents from related records. So from a contact record you might want to see notes and documents from related:

• enrolments
  • invoices
  • applications
  • leads
  • waiting lists

Find related is great, but it doesn’t alert the user to read information that might be in connected records.

In a similar way we might want to be able to see documents and notes from a course record when looking at a class. Or from a class when looking at an enrolment. There are no doubt a number of places where this would be useful.

The problems we need to solve include:

1. Not adding so much clutter that there is now a lot of noise
  2. Performance in pulling in all that related data
  3. Do we need new filters to show only certain types of related data
  4. Should we filter old data by default (eg. anything older than 6 months might be shown only when clicking “show older…”)

Those are just my first thoughts. I’d be interesting in other ideas of how people would like this to work.

Thanks Ari, yes I agree.

Anything to bring together disparate information to enable a seamless customer experience and efficiencies and effectiveness for the internal teams.

The problems we need to solve include:

1. Not adding so much clutter that there is now a lot of noise - agree
  2. Performance in pulling in all that related data
  3. Do we need new filters to show only certain types of related data - I believe so
  4. Should we filter old data by default (eg. anything older than 6 months might be shown only when clicking “show older…”) yes

Another possible way to solve this may be creating separate list for Notes, like we did for Documents. This will allow us to have all notes in one place with already solved performance, clutter and filtering issues. From Contact view we could make references for certain related notes groups with AQL, like we do for classes on Course view:

This is a good idea, and something we should maybe do. We don’t have a full index search on message contents but we can allow searching on subjects.

However the core of the problem here is more about presenting the actual notes themselves in some aggregate way, all in one place. So when you are reviewing a customer edit view you can see all the information that might be important. Let’s take an example… a student calls and asks to withdraw their application. The admin person closes the application and adds a note there.

A week later the student phones back and speaks to someone else. How can we present the recent activity in the application without forcing the user to hunt through every related record? For inbound calls and emails you want to quickly identify all the important recent activity, even attached to other child records.